Filed under News/Features

Headmaster Galahad

Headmaster Galahad, aka Ben Smith

Headmaster Galahad, aka Ben Smith

photo by Headmistress Guinevere

photo by Headmistress Guinevere

Headmaster Galahad, aka Ben Smith

“Hello everyone, and welcome to Advanced Computer Science Principles.”  “Now these two documents agree on practically nothing, so let us use PROP.”  “Murica is lit.”  “I’d tell more chemistry puns, but I don’t think they’d get a reaction.”  All of these are inspirational quotes from G3’s own Headmaster Galahad.

Headmaster Galahad, or HGII as many call him, has technically been with G3 since its King Arthur’s Academy days.  However, his teaching career only started around two and a half years ago, after a decision to retire from the gaming industry which was “extremely easy to make.”  HGII is actually a man of many skills, having backgrounds in History, Biology, and Gaming, and having worked his way up in EA’s ladder over a period of fourteen years.  He started in the pittance paying job of technical support, helping ten-year-olds who hadn’t read the instruction manuals, before getting to customer quality control, making sure that the games are actually working out.  He then worked in localization, which is essentially cultural and societal translation of a game, before moving on to production, where he managed teams of people and spent most of his career, and then finally ending up in a section which made absolutely sure that games were ready before any release.  Rather fittingly, the first game he worked on was Battlefield, and the last was Battlefield 4.

One of the primary reasons for his occupation shift was, along with EA’s general lovability and charm, that G3 had somewhat hit a wall.  HGI didn’t have much experience in scientific fields, and many of the older G3nius3s (as he calls us) simply had no more classes to take, so G3 was losing some of its most loved and respected students.  Headmaster Galahad began by teaching two summer classes—Financial Literacy and History of Video Game Marketing—and never stopped.  So far, his favorite class has been Horrible Middle Ages, due to the general fun involved with any Horrible Histories books, but he has enjoyed every single one of the classes he’s taught.  The reason for this is simple: he just loves the student population.  

“Everyone in G3 gets along so well, and the students are so knowledgeable and driven, it’s amazing” is his perspective on it, along with the fact that “students can choose their epithets, avatars, names, and personalities, just like the teachers, so everyone interacts how they want.”  To HGII, the anonymity of G3 isn’t really for protection, internet safety, or parental satisfaction, but it’s for the community, which is creative, aggressively imaginative, and endlessly original.  Students can have names like “Jacob The Epithetical” with a picture of a fractal and a whacky and amusing profile or titles like “Jamie the Utter Nerd and Sith Lord” with a profile picture of a dragon and a bio which is largely composed of a fictional history of Middle Earth, and Headmaster Galahad loves that.  

To HGII, teaching G3nius3s is extremely rewarding, especially when “someone knows more than [HGII does] and they just explain everything on the mic” and the discussion becomes so engrossing that students don’t even notice that class is over, but instead want to keep talking.

Another facet of the “ancient” Headmaster Galahad is his indomitable sense of humor.  Namely, puns, memes, and wordplay so horrific that it doesn’t even deserve the title of “pun”.  These abound in HGII’s classes, especially in Biology, much to the joy/dismay/revulsion/horror of the students who witness them.  

Headmaster Galahad is a fan of science fiction movies, he enjoys the MCU movies, and after a vicious internal debate, selected Star Wars over Star Trek.  He once responded to forum posts for a whole week with nothing but memes, he has declared me dead numerous times (it made sense in context), and does, in fact, live in Camelot, despite the rumors which have been circulating about this place called “California”.  He’s a great teacher, a brilliant person, a good friend, and so I’m very glad I got to know the Right Honorable Doctor Professor Headmaster Starfleet Commandant Galahad Esquire, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Headmaster Galahad”

1. Fiona M. on December 16th, 2016 9:12 am

Go Galahad! Wonderfully written article. 🙂 *gives two thumbs up*

[Reply]

2. Arkady K. on January 9th, 2017 10:34 am

Great article! I know much more about HG.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Headmaster Galahad

News/Features

Run Like a Woman – Women & Politics

• Headmaster Galahad

News/Features

The Cure to a Fear of Flying: Become a Pilot

• Headmaster Galahad

Science/Technology

Engineering: The Job that Builds the Future

• Headmaster Galahad

Science/Technology

Comparing The Two Hottest Phones On The Market

• Headmaster Galahad

Sports

Raiders relocate to Las Vegas

• Headmaster Galahad

Sports

Stanley Cup Playoffs Semifinals Preview

• Headmaster Galahad

Entertainment

Welcome to Night Vale, Making the Odd Feel Normal

• Headmaster Galahad

Entertainment

Philosophy At Its Finest, Eyes Of A Fourteen Year Old: Ghost In The Shell (1995)

• Headmaster Galahad

Entertainment

How Many People Can a 50year old Kill?–Eyes of a Fourteen Year Old- John Wick: Chapter 2

• Headmaster Galahad

Entertainment

Eyes of a Fourteen Year Old-Moonlight.

Headmaster Galahad